Saturday, May 29, 2004

Another bank holiday. This one was meant to be different. I actually had plans. I was going to North Wales to see Jack's grandma and auntie (I do a very good avoidance of his Dad without appearing obvious) but Lisa called the other night and cancelled - uncle's very poorly and they are spending all their time at the hospital in Liverpool. I fully understood and we'll just go over in a few weeks time. I'm left feeling a little disappointed though.

I used to see my annual visit as a duty call- just so Jack would know who his father's family were - and neither of them could blame me for keeping them apart when he grew up. I didn't think we had much in common. I really enjoy going over now. Lisa, Jack's auntie, is lovely. She's a couple of years older than me, and much prettier. She's not well but you'd never know it from looking at her - she just keeps going. Kevin, her partner, is an all-action hero with a fab TVR and June and Arthur, Grandma and Grandad, are salt-of-the-earth types who'd give you their last ha'penny. Stephen's not all bad either, I just don't have call to see him anymore - Jack's big enough to go on his own now - thankfully.

We never do much apart from shop at Cheshire Oaks or wander around Chester. I had intended to spend a fortune this weekend, new clothes, new shoes, all for me for a change. Oh well! I can't seem to be able to get rid of it at the moment - a sure sign my mood has lifted.

Now what should I do? I have a brand new Astra to play with, on hire courtesy of the chap who ran into the back of me, or at least his insurance, whilst my rear end is fixed. I'm dead chuffed not to have a flipping awful Corsa. I've explored various options; Kathryn is busy so I can't go to London to see my sis; Eva is free tonight and will probably come over after she's been to wish her Grandma happy birthday but I can't leave Jack on his own so Leeds is out, Rachel is probably sick of the sight of me,and even Marko, my old faithful fall-back, is working and obviously doesn't want to accommmodate an ex from 6 or 7 years ago and his godson.

That leaves me with internet options. If I was brave enough, I'd go over to Belfast to meet a cheeky rogue who's caught my eye. My hunky rugby player is away on holiday so there won't be any scrummaging there for a few weeks. There are 2 or 3 cute guys in deepest Lincolnshire who I might meet. I'm certain there will be no romance but it's likely to be a lot more fun than cleaning out my kitchen cupboards, or mopping my floor, activities that I do not want to be repeating on yet another bank holiday, when everyone else I know is having a loved-up long weekend.

That's it decided! RSPB Nature Reserve it is! I always want to Hide on dates so it's the perfect choice. He'll recognize me soon enough. I'll be the rare visitor in summer plumage and totally impractical heels.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home