Friday, September 08, 2006

Ecstatic Equinox

This weekend promises some of the highest tides ever recorded on the Humber. I dropped into the viewing area on my way home from the office this evening. It was spectacular.

The mighty river glowed orange and pink beneath a magnificent sunset, lapping within a few inches of where I stood. It looked so tranquil I could have stepped right in. It was still warm enough to wear nothing more than a suit jacket but the first nips of autumn were definitely in the air. Skeins of geese, wild ducks and roosting gulls flew overhead, silhouetted against the vibrant sky. A few middle-aged couples strolled along the bank, arm in arm, whilst another pair sat in their car eating fish and chips with their fingers. I was tempted to knock on their window and ask for a chip when I recognised the driver as my old Head of Upper School.

I sat for quite a long while, just watching the flow of the tide inching perceptibly higher. I was mesmerised.

As the dying embers of the day sunk beneath the skyline, I drove back up the hill to be met with a huge cream moon rushing upwards over the Wolds. If I'd driven a few miles East, I swear I could have touched it.

Excitement was mounting in me. I had lots of preparations to make.

Tomorrow is my date with my powerful and eternal lover.

Just 9 hours to go.

Tomorrow at dawn I shall be riding high. Tomorrow. Finally. I shall be meeting Comrade

11 Comments:

Blogger WithinWithout said...

So your powerful and eternal lover is someone who used to be named...Wanda.

You are such a tease...

I hope sailing the High Seas doesn't make you sea-sick.

4:58 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope this boat trip isn't cancelled!!

6:31 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) The orange and pink glow is a result of chemicals poured into the river near Goole.
2) I trust that you were not wearing just a suit jacket. Do I have to speak to you about this again? First nips indeed!

7:45 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep! Aim for the moon, Cherrybabe! You may reach the stars!
Lovely writing!

9:39 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

I also hope you were wearing more than just a suit jacket ;-) Really, if you are going to hang around river banks you should be fully clad, otherwise people will talk!

Have fun with Comrade :-)

3:38 pm  
Blogger Mise said...

Note to Cherrypie! ...Would you please warn folk that Debbie Harry is going to suddenly shatter the silence of their bachelor pads. God!

Neil Diamond put the heart crossways in me the other day too!

Hope the weather stayed fine for you today :-D

6:33 pm  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

WW - thankyou for reminding me of my transgender options. My legs are great for sea if nothing else. X

Pete - I considered taking out insurance. With the Sopranos.

Vicus - 1. do you have Goolie relatives? how else would you know this truth that we keep so closely sequestered up here? Please God, don't let it be true that you are a true Goolie too!
2. Do you have a Fiat Brava with a missing headlight? If so, then you would of course know that I retain the rest of my daily apparel until reaching the lay-by at Mortal Ash Hill.

Mise - please feel free to send in requests. I doubt I'd select them but it would give me an amusing insight into how other singletons live

3:59 am  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Oh - I actually meant the Humber was my abiding love. I just got carried away trying to tease and a boat was easier to link in than a muddy over-sized puddle.

4:01 am  
Blogger Mise said...

Y'know what I thought of last night as a possible contender for this slot - C'mon Feel the Noise' ... and could I get that out of my head in bed afterwards? No way!

You can relax though, it's not available ....but Snow Patrol is ...their two great albums 'Final Straw' and their new one, 'Eyes Open' , are both featured on videocure ...and the songs are excellent ;-D

10:34 am  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Phew! Thank goodness that track wasn't available.

I shall check out Snow Patrol ( I am aware of them) later and if I feel like it, I might select it, particularly if I can find a track with 'Cherry' in the title x

5:09 pm  
Blogger WithinWithout said...

Cherry: Respectfully, I kinda doubt that's all your legs are good for.

5:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home