Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Survival Techniques


" I had home-made lasagne for tea last night. It's my favourite and my Mum always makes it for me on a Tuesday after I've had PE. She minces the meat herself from prime hand-fed steak because she doesn't trust the supermarkets" remarks Wallsy, as he takes his lovingly-wrapped home-baked flapjack out of his bag during morning break.

" Tuesday's are always fish & chip night at our house" quips Brainy, " Mum butters loads of fresh bread and makes a big pot of tea as soon as I get in from school 'cos she knows I'm always starving. Last night, she'd made a trifle with cherries and hundreds-and-thousands on the top too because she hadn't made us a pudding on Monday night before she'd gone out to work a double-shift at the hospital. She says she can't concentrate on the heart transplants properly if she's worrying about our empty stomachs. Anyone want a chocolate-crispie cake? Mum always puts far too many in my tuck box."

" No thanks, mate. I've got some cold beef and horseradish sandwiches. There was loads leftover from the roast we had last night. Mum does a proper roast dinner every night as soon as she gets back from the Cabinet Office. She's always done that but she's adding in all sorts of extras at the minute, like sausages wrapped in bacon and stuffing balls, plus a steamed sponge and custard 'cos she says I need the extra vitamins and energy for brain power, being this close to exams. There's too much here for me, if truth be told"observes Duffy " Don't suppose you want any, do you, Jack? There's no smoked salmon or caviar, I'm afraid"

Jack had been trying to look inconspicuous as he stood with the other prefects on corridor duty. He didn't want to get involved in their conversation, just listening to them was making his mouth water and his tummy grumble, but he didn't want to draw attention to that fact by deliberately moving away or appearing too eager to scavenge for scraps. He had a certain position to maintain as Head Boy after all. Everyone knew his Mum was an important lawyer in some hot-shot city firm over the river and was somehow involved in that new Housing thingy that had been in the papers recently. He'd once ( or twice) bragged about how she'd eaten at Blingteringham Fields, something which only rock stars and world leaders are known to do. They'd laugh if they knew the truth. He'd never be able to hold his head up in a scrum again.

" I've just remembered, I've got to see Mrs B, the School Manager, about some really important Head Boy business. I'll catch up with you all at lessons. Wallsy, don't be letting those Year 7 lasses inside even if they do just want your autograph after that gig at Cre8 the other night"

5 minutes later, Jack knocks quietly on the School Manager's office door,

" Grandma, can you lend me some money for lunch, please? Mum didn't get back from work 'til late last night and all she brought in for tea were some curled up sandwiches and a couple of mini sausage rolls left over from her meeting. I'm starving. She hadn't had time to go to the bank either so she didn't have any money in her purse for today. Thanks, Grandma. Ooh. Can I have one of those biscuits left over from the senior management meeting to eat on the way to class too?"

7 Comments:

Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

Happy Belated 35th..cue Rod Stewart
"I wish, that, I knew what I know now, when I was younger"
now about Jack's nosh dilemma I say guilt schmilt! While we are on the subject I suspect that Jack's title of Head Boy? presents enough to deal with at school... Hooray for Grandmas, the world would stop turning without them.
One last thing, on behalf of all of us here in my head, we wish you another brilliant 35 years.
You Go Girl M M M!
CHERRY ON!

6:31 am  
Blogger Boo said...

Awww poor Jack and poor you too! I know how difficult it is to juggle career and family and we often feel guilty over some of the things we think we should have done. I was so involved at one stage that I actually 'forgot' to collect my daughter from school. They telephoned me at work, I was in a meeting and the time just disappeared. My daughter got an ear piercing out of that one! She had been on at me for ages and I had told her she must wait another year. Oh, the things we do!

10:18 am  
Blogger Melora said...

Oh, the poor, precious little lamb! That is Such a sad story. Did he really tell you that the other boys are getting those elaborate homemade lunches? If so, I think that they may be pulling his leg. Of course, our most regular meal is spagetti with jarred sauce, and mac and cheese from the blue boxes is what the kids get most often for lunch, so my perspective may be skewed. And even if you Do believe that those working moms are fixing fancy lunches for their darlings, then you have the happy thought that They are spending all their "free" time in the kitchen, while you, good mom that you are, are spending yours bonding with your child!
Cordially,
Melora

7:11 pm  
Blogger Cream said...

Is that what Winteringham Fields have been dubbed? Too much glitter!

I love lasagne, too!

9:10 pm  
Blogger Seany said...

Ahhh, the world-reknowned "Blingteringham Fields". We reserve that place for the higher echelons of our clientele (or management) and people who aren't bothered about the pattern on the plates taking up more place than the food.

Personally, I think they'd usually prefer good ol' pub grub every time!

9:43 pm  
Blogger joyce said...

great post- It's like you said to me the other day- no matter how much we do, there's always more room to do more, and I'd bet you're doing a phenomenal job!

4:35 pm  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Scapey - you make me smile a lot x

Boo - I've done that too. I was such a frequent late-comer that I had to help found an out-of-school club in the hope that committee members kids got special favours when they were left waiting to be picked up

Melora - I'm not sure where'd I'd be without jars of passata


Seany & Cream - well spotted. It's actually a fantastic place. I've only ever eaten lunch there as that's just about manageable without a second mortgage. Sadly, I've never had it on expenses. The pub across the road does a very commendable Fillet Steak for a tenner

Joyce - no matter how much food I shovel towards Jack, he'll still be munching crisps or an apple 10 minutes later

8:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home