Saturday, April 15, 2006

Rock N' Rugby

I knew it was a bit of a backwater round here, hadn't really moved with the times. I hadn't realised it was soooo old though. 195 million years to be precise ( which is still quite young in geological terms, practically teenage).

I'm hooked. It helped that a good number of the slides and the areas of particular interest that our enthusiastic and awesomely-knowledgeable lecturer, John Aram chose to focus on were areas that have always been a close part of my life.

The chalk quarry which is just a few minute's walk over the brow of the hill above my childhood home. We used to play up on the Viking footpath and in the fields around it and listen out for the horn which preceded every blast. The conveyor belt still hums its lazy way down to the Cement Works at the bottom of the hill carrying 20000 millenial rock to be ground into the material which we all take for granted.

The cliff and pebbly beach where we spent our Swallows & Amazons summers building dams in the springs bursting from the chalk and skimming the smooth white flat stones across the river ( I once got mine to bounce twice. I was so chuffed).


The former ironstone workings which are just at the bottom of the hill which I look down onto from my bedroom window are a site of ammonites ( this is one which honestly truly came from less than half a mile from where I am sitting right now) and other fossils of the late jurassic and early cretaceous period of international significance. Who knew?!

I left the course energised, determined to get out straight away and make the next earth-shattering ( literally, I've been shown how to use a hammer) discovery, Mortoniceras Cherrypii. I ended up in the rugby club. We beat the French 46-8. Hah! I desisted from celebrating in the usual fashion. I do not want the hammering to be only in my head tomorrow.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Quacks of Life said...

what rugby was that?

8:09 pm  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Our club hosts a tour from Clamart, the twin town in France, every Easter. This is the first year for about the last 6 that I haven't had to host a couple of tadpoles. Our Colts played them. Jack was picked for the team but his ankle is still swollen so he sat it out rather than risk injuring it further. He needs to be fit for the Australia Tour in less than 10 weeks time.

9:30 pm  
Blogger Cream said...

Lovely fossil! No, not you!
Sounds like you had a great day!
Hope Jack's ankle gets better soon!

10:29 am  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

Rock On! Chuffed is a phrase that we are not acquainted with here in the Colonial Backwaters of Canada. I was also unaware that Frenchmen played Rugby.C'est pas possible! It sounds like you're having a lovely Spring sans the racoons taking over my neighbourhood.

3:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home