Friday, March 31, 2006


This is my Bridge. I feel quite proprietary about it. It's been part of my life as long as I can remember. I lived in the shadow of it whilst it was being constructed. We regularly went for walks with Dad along the river bank and watched them winching the sections into place. They started on seperate banks and gradually grew closer and closer til it met in the middle.

Before the Bridge was opened, you either had to take the ferry, a really exciting trip for a 5 year old. It felt like I was going to New York. Or drive about 80 miles out of the way to get to the East Coast.

Dad took us over it on the day it opened. It was great. I had been looking forward to it for months. In the event, we just drove across, paid the toll ( which was only about 20p then), drove straight round the roundabout and went back home.

I was there the day the Queen came to open it too. Our whole school was out waving flags. All we saw was a big car speeding past. I think that might have been my fault. I'd given her a hand-picked bunch of Sweet Williams out of the garden when she'd visited the area during Jubilee Year. Didn't discover til we got home and saw the kitchen window where Mum had put another bunch, that they were infested with little black storm flies. I'd watched her so proud of myself when she'd put them on the parcel shelf of her limo. Bang went any chances of my Damehood that day!

I reckon that if you added up all the money I have parted with to cross it since, I have probably bought the South Tower at least. Chances are, this will never be recognized by the Bridge Board. Did I ever mention my surname is Leaning?

3 Comments:

Blogger Melora said...

I hadn't imagined such an impressive bridge! That is really lovely, which is saying a lot coming from me, since I have a terror of bridges.

10:38 pm  
Blogger andrea said...

What is this bridge and what does it link? It looks like an elongated version of *my* (first)bridge (Vancouver's Lions Gate) but mine was built in the mid '30s. How weird: a new bridge in England and an old one on the west coast of Canada! I can see my second bridge (The ALex Fraser from my living room) and it's actually quite an amazing structure -- and only 20 years old.

Wow -- you got me babbling on about bridges. This must be a great blog! :)

3:37 pm  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

It's the Humber Bridge, Andrea. 25 years old and at one time, the longest single span bridge in the world ( it's still the second).

It links Lincolnshire to East Yorkshire.

I googles your bridges. They are lovely too x

Melora - I can understand your fear. Everytime I drive over in fog, I have an almost uncontrollable desire to float off the side.

7:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home