Monday, April 10, 2006

A Book Worm

I was just hopping about, stealing Library links from Melora when I found this over at Andrea's. I wasn't going to post tonight but I can't resist books. My most profitable book to date is the second hand bible I bought from the scariest bookshop in the world ( think: a set from a Harry Potter movie). It cost me 8 quid a couple of years ago and is currently earning me about 100 pounds a month in swear fees.

Meme instructions: Look at the list of books below. Bold the ones you've read, italicize the ones you might read, cross out the ones you won't, underline the ones on your book shelf*, and place parentheses around (or strike through) the ones you've never even heard of.

* I don't know how to underline on here and couldn't be bothered to paste it to a word document first so I changed the colour to red ( read, ha, geddit)

The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown Pixie Peter's Mum and Dad are extras in the film!
The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger but not since school.
The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy - Douglas Adams Never read or saw it but I know the answer
The Great Gatsby - F.Scott Fitzgerald-- another school one
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee Fabulous book
The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger Just read it last week.
His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman Truly sensational.
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - J. K. Rowling Well, you've got to haven't you
Life of Pi - Yann Martel. Brilliant. I suspect the idea came from sleeping on the top bunk in a National Trust Working Holiday dorm.Note to Self - pack earplugs next time
Animal Farm - George Orwell Should read it again really witha grown up's perspective
Catch -22 - Joseph Heller Yeah! I finally finished it
The Hobbit - J. R. R. Tolkien Both for myself ( twice) and to Jack ( once)
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon Not as good as its hype
Lord of the Flies - William Golding
Pride and Prejudice- Jane Austen
1984 - George Orwell
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J. K. Rowling
One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden. This changed Rachel's reading habits when I gave it to her.
(The Kite Runner) - Khaled Hosseini.
The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
(Slaughterhouse 5) - Kurt Vonnegut
The Secret History - Donna Tartt Lent it someone and never saw it again. Might replace it though
Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - C. S. Lewis
(Middlesex) - Jeffrey Eugenides
(Cloud Atlas) - David Mitchell
Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
(Atonement) - Ian McEwan
The Shadow Of The Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway. I've only read Death In The Afternoon
The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood.
The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
(Dune) - Frank Herbert
Q&A - Vikas Swarup Is there anybody I know who hasn't read this fantastic book?

You want to do this? CONSIDER YOURSELF TAGGED

13 Comments:

Blogger Philanthropist said...

I was in your neighborhood and read your mind. You enjoy your journey and that's all that matters.

I've read all the books except The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. My mind is swollen with plots and extenuating sub-pots, and not swollen enough from ethical deeds.

9:34 pm  
Blogger andrea said...

You did better than me. How can you be so well read, though, and have never heard of Dune?

10:36 pm  
Blogger TheTart said...

Nice bunch of books... my favs:

Lonely Bones
The Time Travelers Wife

Give these a try!
Smooch,
The Tart

3:26 pm  
Blogger The Quacks of Life said...

Dune is the most overrated sf novel of all time

6:12 pm  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Window - thanks for looking in

Andrea - (hangs head shamefully)

Jo - I will when I can lay my hands on the Lovely Bones

Pete - ( holds up head in confidence having been vindicated)

7:58 pm  
Blogger Seany said...

I really is about time I stopped colouring in and started reading some of them

8:21 pm  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Seany - with the caffeine-induced insomnia you're likely to be having, you'll probably have read them all by the time you go back to work in a fortnight

9:08 pm  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

I tell everyone that I haven't read anything since JAWS but I have read most of the darker deepressing tomes listed. Loved Da Vinci thanks to the bite size chapters (so flippin lazy now) and most of these were forced upon me during my 3 years in grade 12! I must confess that the films derived from the list obliterate my fragile memory of the book. Mockingbird is Gregory Peck/ Wuthering is Sir Larry (and Kate Bush) and snippets are scattered about my attic. Now I feel so lazy Dammit!

10:33 pm  
Blogger andrea said...

I think Dune is overrated but I think Pete is oozing opinionated *just a little* here. I'm just surprised that you've never heard of it, not that you've never read it. Isn't it in every true geek's collection? You must've met one of those? :)

4:49 am  
Blogger The Quacks of Life said...

Hi Andrea - opinionated moi? LOL perhaps a little - its one of those books that is deemed "important" and I can't really figure out why. May have to reread it.

I would agree though that I'm surprised CP hasn't heard of it. Its quite famous. Even made into a film with Sting in it.

8:26 am  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Oh! that Dune. Of course I've heard of the Sting film and the perfume that came out around the same time. Wasn't it a bit sci-fi ish? I don't really do sci-fi. The only good thing about the Star wars back-to-back trilogy that I saw a few years ago was to catch up on some well-needed sleep.

Alas, Andrea, I have met more than my fair share of geeks. They seem to be the only ones that every fancy me!

Mr escapeons. I always think of Gregory Peck too

Egyptian Squiggle Friend - salaam xx

1:47 pm  
Blogger Cream said...

Of the ones you haven't yet read I can recommend The Kite Runner and Middlesex but I found Cloud Atlas very hard!

2:00 pm  
Blogger Carlotti said...

I just read your profile - and I'm another "let's do it the hardest way possible" kind of person! I keep shaking my head and wondering how this happens, but am realizing this is just the way it's got to be.....

Books - my favorites from your list include Life of Pi, The Hobbit, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night time, The lion Witch and Wardrobe, Middlesex, The handmaid's Tale.j

I need to hang onto your list, because there are a lot of books on there that I want to read, and I never remember the titles when I actually get to the library.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time is one I thoroughly enjoyed - maybe because I wasn't aware of hype (I avoid hyped things.) I work with a lot of autistic children, and I was amazed at how the author of this book was able to imitate the workings of an autistic mind.

2:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home