Sunday, April 09, 2006

Repurposing by any other name

I was the 500th person to register for a fantastic new recycling scheme which aims to reduce local waste sent to landfill sites. I think it's a fabulously simple idea and were I ever to muster sufficient enthusiasm to sort through the 30 or so boxes still sitting obediently in my garage -cum-sauna ( which it is destined to become once/if said boxes are removed) where they were placed on the day I moved in, I think I would be happy to use this service.

I trawled about looking to see what interesting things might be up for grabs. There was a bookcase. I'm already spilling out of my existing ones and that's without unpacking any of the boxes, approximately half of which contain books from both mine and Jack's childhood. In the same way that I have to accept that I am no longer a 34B, I realise it's time I bought a bigger size of shelf.

There were quite a few plants. And someone was advertising garden incense sticks. I quite fancied those even though I'd never before heard of such things. I love scents in my garden but it's a bit too early for all the lavender and honeysuckle that I planted last year.

Unfortunately, some pushy owlperson had beaten me to it wherever I looked so I came away empty handed from my first foray into the freecycling world. But I'll keep circling about and prepare to swoop down when some small tasty morsel catches my eye. Twit twoo!

2 Comments:

Blogger Melora said...

Sounds good! My internet filter didn't want to let me look at the site, but I'm imagining something like a big rummage sale, only you bring your junk and take home other people's junk? I think they should have let you have dibs on those incense sticks just for being the 500th person to register, but maybe whoever took them won't like them and will bring them back, so you might get another chance!

I've never been a garage sale/thrift shop person (I don't like shopping for anything but books and always want to get it over with as quickly and efficiently as possible), but if we ever sell the house and I am jobless for a while, I've promised Travis that we will do all our shopping that way, and he is very excited at the prospect!

1:46 am  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

To be honest, Melora, there's nothing particularly thrifty about me. I'm quite a consumer but I do have idealistic dreams of being green. I doubt I'll ever get anything from freecyclers, and I'll never be organised enough to offer anything on there myself, but it doesn't stop me looking.

12:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home