Wednesday, September 05, 2007

1...2...3...4..., ...10

Being the naturally warm, generous-hearted type that I am, and being only too aware of employee discrimination legislation, I smiled sweetly and congratulated My Right Arm when she announced she was expecting her first child.
4 months later, just a fortnight before MRA's due date, I found a replacement, my Prosthetic Limb.

PL was a deluxe version, almost bionic when compared to my original Right Arm. She could spin plates almost as well as me, she could answer phones and placate clients nearly as quickly and she was never twiddling her prosthetic thumb. She even had neater fingernails. Perfect.

I didn't worry when MRA dropped the baby 2 weeks early. PL would be here before I knew it.

I didn't worry when PL took a fortnight's holiday, just a month after starting. I'd known about it at interview and had agreed to honour it, after all, it was only 2 weeks.

I did feel a pang of irritation when PL failed to return immediately after her holiday claiming a chest infection. The pang started to turn to panic when this stretched into its second week.

5 weeks on and PL isn't coming back. Nor is my sanity.

I'm back to waving on my own. Or am I?

PS. Apologies to anyone of a musical disposition. Utilisation of Celine Dion is an unforgiveable crime that even my own indulgence finds offensive but nevertheless necessary at this precise moment.

7 Comments:

Blogger andrea said...

Thank God you added that disclaimer at the bottom. I was all set never to return, even though my heart was breaking at your current situation. Buck up, lass, maybe there's a Pseudo-Prosthetic Limb lurking somewhere who will blow PL right out of the water.

9:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not waving but drowning??

10:51 pm  
Blogger kj said...

been there, done that. damn, double damn. you deserve better, of course.

ps you're a quality friend too, cp. i say that with very comfortable certainty....

:)

6:03 pm  
Blogger Zig said...

drowning not waving?! - oh balls, just seen that Cherry R wrote that first! Well not changing it!

Hope your head is still above water!

2:31 pm  
Blogger Zig said...

Oh dear, I seem to be suffering from exclamation mark excess usage - it's celine's fault she drove me to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3:07 pm  
Blogger Eagleseagles said...

Case of "burns too brightly" eekk

sorry to hear the struggle!

Never know that agency might just have a walking stick replacement.
C

5:17 pm  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

Far too many People seem to take advantage of us if, and when, we are NICE to them.

Let the winds of political correctness and employee discrimination blow as they may. Untie the dinghy and let her drift with a few provisions.

Get back onboard the SS "Fool Me Once" and hoist anchor, set sail and prepare to make way for the Straits of contractual obligation and just cause.

5:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home