Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Crass Consciousness

I had a personal invitation to a sneak preview event last night at a new Bar & Grill soon to be opening just outside Hull and promising to 'revolutionise the concept of dining' in the area. I thought this sounded a bit pretentious but they were offering free cocktails and samples from their menu and as I'll turn up to the opening of an envelope if someone asks me, I decided to pop along.


I picked Sophie up and we drove over shortly after 8 o'clock. It was a beautiful evening and the sun was streaming down. We soon found The Weir and recognised the venue from the huge numbers of people congregating outside, apparently soaking up the precious rays but more likely forced out of doors following the introduction of the smoking ban a few days ago.


I panicked. A brief glimpse at the clientele suggested them to be predominantly of the West Hull breed, loud, trendy, smothered in fake tan and so over-dressed they'd make any WaG look shabby. There was no way I was putting myself and my work attire beside them. I know that probably says more about me than them.


There were only 3 other diners in the Akash 20 minutes later. Sophie & I had a lovely evening.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

I shall be lunching out at a flower festival for the next few days. In my work attire.

I have no shame.

7:43 am  
Blogger Cream said...

Cherrybabes, I thought you could handle any situation!
Fancy not reporting on a place "promising to revolutionise the concept of dining"...

11:24 am  
Blogger Zig said...

Sunshine? Someone on't radio has been going on all day how Hull is still under water!
Also what's a WaG?

6:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home