Sunday, July 01, 2007

Market Divorces

Barton-upon-Humber is a small market town on the banks of the eponymous river. Growing up in the nearest village, I've been familiar with it all my life. There's nothing very remarkable about it, save for the unique Saxon church tower and baptistry at the English Heritage-owned St Peter's. It's hardly a crowd-puller. It took me until today to visit it for a start.
There's a great Art Centre where they also serve large slabs of cake and my local Nature Reserve of which I am the newest ( and by far, the youngest) volunteer.

The Desperate Dan cartoonist lives there and Robert Kleason, the man they based the Texas Chainsaw Massacre upon, made it home for him and his frighteningly large collection of guns from 1990 to his death.

I'm not doing a very good job of selling it well. The same could not be said of Mr George Wray, who in 1847 was the last man in England to successfully sell his wife by public auction. He led her, haltered around the waist into Barton marketplace. She was purchased by William Harwood. He paid 1s 3 1/2 d.

Property is still relatively cheap.

7 Comments:

Blogger delcatto said...

We were there yesterday to walk the pooch, view the birds and the bridge. I do quite like the town and even my son gives it the thumbs up, stating "It's almost as good as Whitby"...with fewer Goths.

11:10 pm  
Blogger The Quacks of Life said...

Curious isn't it. I expected to liked Gainsborough and didn't and I expect dislike Barton and did!!

7:31 am  
Blogger Cream said...

Sounds like divorce used to be a profitable pastime!

12:26 pm  
Blogger Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Hey I'm so jealous that you met Cream before I did! Hope the water level in your garden has gone down by now.

3:49 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

I expect you can sell your wife on e-bay nowadays.

5:53 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Desperate Dan and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre...Is the link cow pies?
You could not make this stuff up.

9:39 pm  
Blogger tom909 said...

That's about 6p. Wonder if I could get that for my Mrs.

6:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home