Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Cherry Tunes


Sharon has tagged me to list the top 10 songs that mean something to me. I've listed them in almost chronological order. They are not necessarily my favourite songs but they all stir feelings for me, some good and a few not-so. Songs that are linked can be clicked for listening on YouTube. I've spared you the first one as I realise not everyone has my finely-developed musical appreciation and I cheated a bit on no. 6 because there were just so many to choose.

1. Shang-a-Lang - The Bay City Rollers: I had tonsilitis every 3 weeks from teething age and was regularly confined to bed for days on end. My parents bought me a little plastic record player and this was my first non-Pinky & Perky album. I played it continuously from 7am every morning from the age of 3 until they finally got fed up and bought me a Blondie album when I was about 7. I had a tartan scarf and a life-size poster over my bed.

2. It Must Be Love - Madness: Jonathan W was a year older than me and when he went up to Big School, it wasn't cool for him to have a kid 'girlfriend'. I'd play this as I waited for him to walk by our house after the school bus had dropped him off. After a few weeks, we started meeting at the tumble-down stables behind the vicarage, which we nicknamed 'Cardboard Castle'. It was all quite innocent. We never kissed. On the night Prince Charles and Lady Di got married his parents had a big barbecue at their farm and I was lured into a room with Jonathan and his mate turned the lights off. I was out of there like a shot. I pass him on his tractor most days. We always wave.

3. Crying - Don MacLean: This was played everywhere the year my parents split up. Mind you, so was Fern Kinney but I never felt any emotional attachments to that.

4. Wig Wam Bam - The Sweet: Our Comp had an Orchestra Well in the centre of the Hall. It was compulsory for us to stand around the top of it and dance to this at every Piledriver Disco. I always won the spot prize for my pelvic thrusts. I am very proud of that achievement and could never understand why careers advisors suggested it be removed from my early CVs.

5. Sexual Healing -Marvin Gaye: First proper boyfriend, Nigel. He had an orange Opel Cadet. Clumber Park and a rhododendron bush were featured. I don't really want to say anymore.

6. The Passenger - Iggy Pop: There are so many tunes that remind me of Steve Bird Discos at The Baths, Ram Jam, The Undertones, the Rezillos, Martha & The Muffins, The Kinks, Thin Lizzy, even one of Sharon's but Iggy was my favourite.

7. Back to Life - Soul II Soul: - Scene3, later renamed JJ's and now a Riley's Snooker Hall. Short leather mini-skirt, black voile shirt and a velvet leopard-skin WonderBra. Big hair and lots of attitude.

8 . Get Here- Oleta Adams: It was the first Iraq Fiasco and Gary R, the first boy I ever kissed and who was always my secret true love even if I did have a brief thing for Jonathan W, was deployed out there for 6 months with the Royal Engineers. We wrote a lot and I'd listen to this late at night, nursing Jack, watching all-night news and praying he'd come back safe. He did. He's now something in IT, married and lives in Southern Suburbia.

9. Forever in Blue Jeans - Neil Diamond: The theme tune of many a cava-fuelled night emoting in Eva's lounge pre-Roger. I swear the Director of Bridget Jone's Diary must have looked through the window one evening.

10. Don't Stop Me Now - Queen: Jack. Singing loudly in the car together. There are some things upon which we will always agree.

So it's traditional to tag others. KJ, Joyce, Dave, Ziggi and Mise, consider yourselves marked but nothing that won't wash out if you'd rather not be tarnished.

19 Comments:

Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Dear God make me feel old. When you started listening to the Bay City Rollers I was in junior high school.

I'm going back to my wheelchair and shawl now . . .

4:43 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cherrypie, that list showed almost the same appalling lack of taste as that of Sharon. How did you manage it?

6:34 am  
Blogger Mise said...

I mentioned a Bay City Rollers cd recently and was ridiculed!

But I will do the tag...just as soon as I can blog without feeling guilty. :-D

8:00 am  
Blogger Greg said...

Can't agree that the list shows an "appalling lack of taste". I've got 7 of your 10 songs and of them at least 5 are guaranteed singalongable and 3 of them are dance-on-the-table time!

8:01 am  
Blogger Dave said...

I've just noticed my name at the bottom of this post. It's very difficult to read it, because the colour of the background changes part way through your post, and is so dark it's almost the same as the text - esp. the hyperlinked. I use Firefox. Is this my problem alone?

10:38 am  
Blogger Zig said...

eeek! so that's what 'tagged' means - oh help

10:57 am  
Blogger joyce said...

You're on, sweet pie.
check it out.

3:52 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

Thanks for changing the template. Much easier on the eye. I may even mull this over for a few days, and possibly respond next week.

4:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be humming wig wam bam all evening now!

6:54 pm  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Fronty - you have nothing to worry about. Vicy=us was already a grumpy old codger by then.

Vicus - Go on then. You try and come up with a more stylish soundtrack. Gracie Fields and the Andrew Sisters are sure to form a part.( PS. XXX)

Mise - they only mock what they do not understand.

Steg - you have excellent taste

Dave - it was a problem with my template which manifested itself in Firefox. I just couldn't seem to fix it so I've swapped the whole thing just for you ( and Sharon). Anyone who can work out why my sidebar keeps drooping, please let me know.

9:48 pm  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Joyce, Ziggi - Thanks for accepting the challenge. Dave, look forward to seeing the results. No doubt that Cricket Caribbean tune will be among them.

Beki - don't forget the carefully placed pelvic thrusts

12:36 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Awwww Forever in blue jeans. Now that's a blast from my past.

1:27 am  
Blogger Dave said...

Oh, I meant to say, I've added you to the list of blogs on my sidebar. Hope you don't mind.

It's taking my mind off the pain at the moment.

1:36 am  
Blogger Greg said...

It's the pelvic thrusts that really drive 'em insane. Now there's a song for ya!!

2:04 am  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Dave - I'm honoured and pleased to have provided some relief however light.

Steg - I'm a Rocky Horror Vet. Still got the basques although they'd need the laces taking out a bit nowadays.

2:43 am  
Blogger Dave said...

Relief of any kind always most welcome.

6:21 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Queen! YES!!!

Which one of mine?

11:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And ta muchly for the change. It only drops in IE

11:37 pm  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Sinatra. It was customary for us to form a long chain on the dance floor and high kick our way out of the Baths at the end of the night.

You'r right about it being fine in Firefox. I flit between the two because I haven't worked out the benfits of each yet. All I do know is that when I use Firefow, it often takes me straight to an old post rather than the latest. I wish I had a clue what I was doing.

11:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home