Saturday, September 23, 2006

Chill! Out

Being woken up by your best friend, the one with the immaculate house and precision appearance, informing you that she's going to be in your village shortly and would it be alright for her son, your godson, to come round for a shower after his football match is enough to get any Saturday Sloth upright and focused in seconds.

Rachel knows that in a housekeeping competition she would always always beat me. ( She also knows that with my competitive nature, I'd challenge her to a Scrabble Marathon - sure she'd get the tiles looking neat and tidy but the Triple Word Scores would be all mine). I'd offered to give them some lunch so the least I could do was remove the bacteria colonies that were attempting to claim asylum on every available surface, including me.

The result was satisfying. It looked as if I hadn't bothered to do anything more than light a scented candle to greet her arrival when, in reality, I had been running around juggling the Dyson and Cif for the best part of 3 hours.

Funny, I've somehow managed to create a similar effect with my fridge, which I shot as part of Belinda's Dare which I heard about from that doyenne of good taste, Andrea.


( click on the picture if you have a fridge voyeurism fetish)

I cheated. I cleaned it first. I was not aware we had such a strong liking for mustard but there are 6 different varieties in there, 2 types of jam, 1 jar of marmalade ( neither Jack nor I eat it, I have no idea where it came from but it looked settled so I left it) 4 types of olive, lime/ chilli pickle and mango chutney, fish sauce, disposable eye masks, lime/lemon juice, 4 bags of mozzarella ( it's the Healthy Eating range - it's allowed) and some lovely locally-produced organic sausages. I was tempted to pull some leaves out of the garden to add some token greenery, but one would not expect my fridge to contain lettuce. I have, of course, eaten it. The tomatoes are still being picked off the vine as required. And the wine is Fairtrade ( well 1 bottle is) so it's good. It is.

If you fancy taking up the Fridge Challenge, follow the link from Belinda's name above and read the rules. I am particularly interested in seeing what the inside of a single man's fridge looks like. I may even be available for a personal inspection if the contents prove worthy.

12 Comments:

Blogger andrea said...

You have booze in your fridge. I'm so there. I also love lime pickle and mango chutney, only one of which is in my fridge currently so that's another reason to visit.

I now challenge you to housekeeping *and* Scrabble. I may be even more competitive than you! :) oo

10:06 pm  
Blogger joyce said...

yummy looking stuff in there. so un-daycare-ish. so grown up.
Nothing like a bit'o pressure to get the fridge scrubbed down...!

12:43 am  
Blogger WithinWithout said...

OK, I'm on this fridge challenge thing. I had seen it on Andrea's milk-filled blogsite, on Belinda's, and it's my next post.

But I REFUSE to clean it. It's my statement about me, au naturel, in the buff, domestically speaking.

You'll be sorry...

12:46 am  
Blogger CeCe said...

I just cleaned my fridge too. Partly because I was embarassed when I thought about the dare, partly because I was headed out to do a big grocery shop, and partly because my neat freak of a grand mother is coming to visit. I know your dread. I feel it too. Hopefully this place will be slightly clean before she shows.

2:14 am  
Blogger Mise said...

I was glad (relieved, actually) to see the bottle of Sav Blanc...I would have pointed out that you cheated by cleaning first, but you beat me to it.

So your friend, Rachel, likes things neat and tidy, does she? (I like her!)

Nice bit of squaring away there yourself, Cherry! ;-D

7:38 am  
Blogger Zig said...

Pah! It's Sunday morning and I'm not going clean anything except me! Didn't notice any chocolate in there . . .

10:54 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Cherrybabe, that could've been my own fridge except in a past life. Nowadays I'd take everything out except the wine, the olives and the coffee...
Some Camembert or Brie may find its way in!
Disposable eyes masks? Cool!

11:59 am  
Blogger Zig said...

BTW did you know your side bit has slipped under your bottom?

1:00 pm  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Andrea- I really wish you hadn't said that.

Joyce - I dread to think how much milk you've got in yours. I've seen the size of those containers on some of the other photos in this challenge.

WW - I'll be over to peek shortly. So this milk thing isn't cultural? Guess that would make it cheese!

Cream - with 3 restaurants at your disposal I wonder you ever eat in at all.

Ziggi - thanks. I know. I broke it. I'm waiting for someone to offer to fix it for me.

Cherry - I'd filled the composter with the carrots, courgettes, mushrooms etc just minutes before that was taken.

11:25 pm  
Blogger WithinWithout said...

Cherry:

You will find -- as your opponent, Andrea did -- that I rarely live up to my blogging commitments.

The fridge is next on my posting list, followed, hopefully, by Andrea's expected post on my son's shaving initiation...

All of which might be overtaken by my own off-the-cuff need to express something else...

12:10 am  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

My fridge is still loaded with booze that we purchased to sedate my family during Lord Ridley's big 5th. I wouldn't want anyone to get the right impression.

Normally everything is arranged in alphabetical order and labelled with hand written colored stickers by specific food groups and accordingly lined up so that freshest products are in the rear.

Anybody got a problem with that?

6:25 am  
Blogger Carlz said...

Its better than our student fridge - which stands empty most of the time! then there was the time we left meat in the freezer over a vacation and the power cut out - not the most pleasant thing to return to!!!

9:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home