Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Rotten Lousy Scoundrels

For a girl who never goes out and has no social life, I did a pretty poor job tonight. I met up with about 200 of my new friends, where they all know me by name and make a point of coming over to speak to me the moment they arrive.

Yep. The new Comedy Club season has started and this time, I'm the woman on the door.

I've been anticipating it all summer and have amassed a rather groovy collection of slogan tee-shirts for the occasion. Tirelessly campaigning to promote the written word, I figure they can only see me from the chest up so looking at my tits should be a positive experience. 'Course, tonight I wore a white tunic, simply because I had one ironed. One wise guy actually asked where the slogan had gone. " This? Oh, it's a blank note pad" was a funnier response at the time somehow.

Rob Rouse, a TV ( that's as in television, not Eddie Izzard) comic was headlining. I was a little excited and had taken my camera in the hope of getting a photo with a famous person. He'd cancelled. At 3pm this afternoon. Jon, the promoter and resident compere had recoved sufficiently to regain the power of speech by the time I arrived at 7 to set up the front desk. He'd got a last minute stand-in ( or should that be stand-up?). I was a little worried that anyone available to come to ScVnthorpe, a town responsible for at least 37 different search engine filters, at 4 hours notice might not be a crowd-puller. Boy! Was I wrong.

Pete Firman, the first slot, also with TV credits to his name ( C5's Monkey Magic - never heard of it) got things warmed up with his comedic magic. Not quite your Tommy Cooper but not bad at all. Next up were 2 newcomers to the circuit, Al, a Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall lookalike and, erm, a Geordie with walnut whip hair managed to raise some laughs which is more than can be said for the middle guy a fortnight ago.

I was mobbed during the intervals with people wanting to buy membership cards and book seats in advance for the next show. Word had got about and we'd sold out in advance for both the first two shows (it's repeated in Grimsby and Doncaster on alternate Tuesdays - I thoroughly recommend it to anyone living near either place, and I know some of you do - tell your friends, tell Jon I sent you and tell me what you think afterwards) so I hadn't had the chance to pop into the dressing room and meet the final act ( I also hadn't had the opportunity to get the inside gen on whether he was single, and more importantly, whether he wasn't fussy from Roger in advance - there are some benefits to having a best friend married to a stand-up comedian). I certainly would not have put the large, leather-clad, goatee-wearing, cropped haired leviathan down as Mitch Benn from Radio 4.

He was awesome. He had the place in pieces from start to finish. He came back for 2 encores and still they cheered for more. He was a damn sight funnier and completely more professional than that weedy Rot Louse would have been.

( No, that's not Dawn French at the front but I can understand why you might have thought it was )

Get out there. Bring some comedy into your lives. Support live performances, be it stand-up, theatre, music ( but I'm not sure where I stand on installation art). Your tellies and computers will still be at home waiting for you. Well, unless you're unlucky enough to live in certain areas of Manchester, they will be.

24 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I haven't had a good laugh in ages. At least not since I walked into our local T*sco one morning, yawning my head off and one of the staff asked me if I'd got lucky the night before.

You would have to know me to understand why that made me laugh.

2:12 am  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

I bring live comedy into my life every day I walk into work and hear my fellow management team member attempt to be coherent and authoritative.

And then I realize she's on my team and I close my office door and cry.

And while I like Dawn French, I wouldn't mistake you for her ;^D>

5:34 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've actually heard of Mitch Benn!!!

He does the NOW show.

He's good on that!

7:37 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where does the music come from? I haven't read the post because the music keeps crashing my 'puter and the pale pink area isn't stretching down to the bottom of the post and it's difficult to read black text on bright pink. Blow!

Good job I didn't land here during my night surfing. I'm usually in the bedroom while himself snores. He wouldn't have been a happy bunny. Not that he usually is but...y'know.

11:58 am  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Steg - if anyone at Tesco had said that to me, I'm as likely to have cried or punched them as anything else


Fronty - that sounds like a tragicomedy

Pete - at last being a Radio 4 listener has its benefits. I'd heard him on Radio 2 a few times but I wasn't prepared for just how good he was live, really commanded an audience, and was a very friendly and approachable chap

Sharon - Sorry. I've fixed the music. I can't do much about my template but I know a woman who can. I've emailed you to answer this more comprehensively.

Kate - if you are looking in, I think now would be a good time to see if that prize template makeover is still available, or at least a masterclass on html management

2:10 pm  
Blogger Mike Da Hat said...

So those dudes in the photo with you are famous then? So how come you are the only one I know? Does that make you more famous than them? Jus' wondered.

4:01 pm  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Only in my own lunchtime, Mike ( and I rarely take one so what does that tell you?)

5:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cherrybabe, I didn't know you were involved in the Comedy club! I thought you just went there for a drink and a laugh! Well done!!!
And you've got such a friendly face!!!

7:05 pm  
Blogger krusty the baker said...

Mitch Benn is good value, isn't he. Thanks for your note, I have to say I've had problems even reading here, so your recent moral conundrum is lost to me, as I had to just miss this site out for a while. Glad to read it again.

Oh, and very few bosoms benefit for being written on.

7:58 pm  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Cream - you know who to ask when you feel ready to take up that five minute slot

Krusty - hi - I shall take that as sound advice from a hardened coinnoisseur - I know I've spelt that wrong but I'm tired and will worry about it another time

11:27 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

I was going to say something about remote Norfolk not being in the round of entertainment, but then I thought 'why bother, no-one cares what happens in East Anglia' so I'm not going to.

Nice photo though.

8:12 am  
Blogger tom909 said...

I'm not sure I go with Krusty on the writing on the tits thing. My missus has got a Pymouth Argyle Tshirt and it works ok for me.
Babe, you're making far too much of this Dawn French thing - you're looking just fine.

10:01 am  
Blogger Mark Gamon said...

That's not Dawn French. That's some cute Bay City Rollers fan, minus the tartan...

11:14 am  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Almost forgot - love the photo of you at Tussads's. Let me guess, that's William Pitt the younger at left, Kitchener at the rear and Disraeli at back right.

11:15 am  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

You should be onstage!

3:41 pm  
Blogger Zig said...

Aw you look lovely, only outshined by the gorgeous looking lady standing in front of you :)

5:34 pm  
Blogger krusty the baker said...

Hardened, anyway.

8:12 pm  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Dave - lots of people care what happens in East Anglia. Ok, so they are mainly bird-watchers and turkey-twizzler eaters but there are a lot of them.

I actually have some of my happiest memories of childhood holidays in Norfolk

Fronty - well spotted. The one at the front is Queen Victoria before her black period.

HE - Stage? Is that some sort of medication?

Ziggi - and here was I pretending I was short all this time - ha ha

Krusty - I knew that would happen even as I went to submit but continued anyway. I'm so glad you rose to the occasion.

9:28 pm  
Blogger Carmenzta said...

Cherry, you are such a cutie! And I love your pendant, what is that?

I'm glad you had a good time, they must love you there!

hzzku - really sucky Japanese poetry.

10:11 pm  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Sorry, but you can't be Victoria. You're not dowdy looking. Nice try though

11:02 pm  
Blogger Greg said...

Holidays in Norfolk? Whereabouts, C.P.?

10:07 am  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

Ha Ha you know exactly what I mean..You are hilarious!
Next amateur night go for it!

You would 'kill' on stage...just encapsulate all of your posts and go with your 'wo is me' schtick..
it will become immediately evident that your self imposed single status is an anomoly in the space/time continuum.

3:59 pm  
Blogger Mise said...

hzzku ..lol..I like that...and the guy on the left is the image of Ed Byrne ....sorry the image of what edbyrne.com used to look like...and you look lovely! :D

Red-eyed in Dubai airport!

7:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mitch Benn does the "Ask Elvis" bits on Steve Wright's Radio 2 show, which I still find funny.

I don't snore.

9:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home