Monday, March 03, 2008

Dust in My Eye

I was awoken by a mild trembling. It's not an unknown phenomenon in my bed, and has on occasion been much stronger and lasted significantly longer, though not for some time.

I immediately thought my ceilings were collapsing, or the hot water tank was about to come crashing on top of me, maybe the front of the house had fallen down.

It was some minutes before I realised I'd just experienced my first earthquake. It was some hours before I fell back to sleep.

( NB. The epicentre was approximately 15 miles away as the crow flies. I survived with a touch of post-traumatic stress disorder every time anyone comes up with an 'original' DidTheEarthMoveForYou gag).

5 Comments:

Blogger Carmenzta said...

Cherry,it's good to see you back! I thought there were no earthquakes in Great Britain. Aren't you guys really far from the closest subduction zones?

10:21 pm  
Blogger Vicus Scurra said...

Look, Carmenzta, we had a bloody earthquake here. It caused a few tiles to fall off in Lincolnshire, not a place were it would show much, but it was still a bloody earthquake. People felt it. The last thing we need is some ex-colonial coming over here with their "subduction zones" and clever technical knowledge. There are many things that we do not do as well as you guys - assassination of head of state, mass gun killings in schools and Dr Phil to name a few. However, we do not begrudge you superiority in these fields. Please try to be gracious.

10:36 pm  
Blogger Willie Baronet said...

Wow, exciting! I thought you were going to make a joke about having gas or sex at first. ;-)

3:57 pm  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

Now, now, Vicus.
There's no need to scold the young lady. The fiery sangre coursing through her lovely veins forces her to approach everything in life, especially scientificky explanationalisms, with a rhythmic passion that you and I can only dream of.

So Cherry how does it compare to you know?
I know that it didn't last very long but apparently that doesn't matter anymore...

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=72916






Did you hear Carole King singing
"I feel the Earth
MOVE
under my feet"

8:05 pm  
Blogger WithinWithout said...

So my question is, have you stopped trembling and shaking now that a truly seismic as opposed to orgasmic event has occurred?

12:05 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home