Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Magnificent Edifice

I have an appetite for Hungary. It is delicious. The food is hearty, well-cooked and honest. The architecture is grand whilst humbly crumbling. The people are warm, friendly and, in many cases, freakly odd-looking. I'd be quite a catch in Budapest, if only by dint of the fact that I have all my own limbs, teeth, hair and a full compliment of senses.


I tried going native. That is, I visited the Széchenyi Baths, the Magyar equivalent of Parisian cafes. The entire Hungarian population decants here to chat, play chess, have a massage, often surreptitiously from what I have read but fortunately, the combined effect of the steam and lack of contact lenses prevented me from confirming this first hand, as it were. The whole scene is almost balletic. Saint-Saens' Carnival of the Animals kept running through my head.


Powerful jets whoosh the heavily-mineralised, naturally hot waters about, leaving me glaze-eyed and my swimming costume stretched out of shape. The follow-up massage was more matter-of-fact than made to relax. It was so good, I went back for another the following day.


I may return next year.


Jack, meanwhile, admired the architecture of Amsterdam. He described the tall, gabled buildings, complete with winch hooks perfectly, the design choices in their hotel, the large windows. He was less forthcoming on how his friend, Rob, whose 18th birthday had prompted the trip, came to have ' The End' written upon his chest in black marker. It appears that one doesn't need limbs in Holland to hold a pen.


Jack will definitely be back.

10 Comments:

Blogger Mise said...

I've got a friend who bought two apartments in Pest, and he's invited me on several occasions. Your description prompts me to take up his offer.

9:17 am  
Blogger Dave said...

I have a friend who is Hungarian. After several dropped hints she still hasn't offered to take me on a guided tour of the country.

Probably I'm too gay for her.

10:03 am  
Blogger Cream said...

In Algeria that's all you get at the baths: matter-of-fact massages.
Not even a drop of scented oil!

Was it "the end" of the show?

10:30 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post,
I have never been there.
Can a terminally bored person find an edifice magnificent?

Graffiti

12:36 pm  
Blogger Karate Jim said...

Hungary sounds amazing. It reminds me of the time I spent in East Germany.

I guess there comes a time when you just don't ask your children what they have done on their "weekend away". I dread that time, but I fear it is rapidly approaching!

8:56 pm  
Blogger Russell CJ Duffy said...

budapest eh?
freaky people without teeth and limbless.
hmmmmm.
sounds like my kinda place.

where's my brail book?
;)
x

10:11 am  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

It must be a relief not having to wax your moustache...you wouldn't want to look like a tart.
Is everything GREY? I have always imagined that everything and everyone in the Pest is a sullen ashen grey...sputtering around in Treblants and tossing empty bottles of homemade potato Wodtka at retired KGB agents lying in the gutter.
Are there any Birds left or have they all been stewed?
Please post a picture of you in your swankiest Babooshka!

3:13 pm  
Blogger Mike Da Hat said...

If you like the spa treatment closer than that is Quiberon in south Brittany the Thallassotherapie centre it's great. Salt water swimming pool, hot dips, cold plunges, sauna, relaxation area with aroma therapy, showers jets of water, restaurant. It's brill. And you get brilliant white fluffy towels and bath robes.

4:54 pm  
Blogger Mike Da Hat said...

That was me by the way Mike Da Hat stupid machine used my Unity account

4:55 pm  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Mise - Go! Go! Go! Let me know if there is a spare place

Dave - you don't need her. The public transport is easy enough to negotiate

Cream - it was The End. I think they appreciated the finale.

Graffitti - thank you for scribbling. A terminally bored person can do anything which her mind flies to in my experience. It's a form of remission.

LLS - resist it. Use growth-inhibiting drugs if necessary.

CJ - I have a sense you'd be hooked

HE - it's remarkably colourful with lots of bright art deco tiling, dotted between the grey backdrop.

Mike - I knew it was you. I think I've been to Quiberon, many years ago as a child. It sounds just like my sort of destination. Do they let you bring the robes and towels back or do you have to steal them as my kleptomaniac companion did?

5:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home