Monday, October 30, 2006

Wham! Bang! Dang!

A few weeks ago I was chatting to a comedian after a show. He'd made his first visit to Doncaster the week before and was keen to tell me of his impressions of the place. He'd been surprised to see everyone smartly suited and booted for a mid-week outing. His preconceptions of the place were soon confirmed when the first fight started within the space of an hour. It doesn't take much to get the women riled in some places.

I was quick to reassure him that whilst our town may not be the most desirable epicentre of culture, it was actually a reasonably pleasant place to live with very little anti-social behaviour populated by warm friendly people. I was considering showing him just how warm and friendly some of us really can be when there was a loud bang, quickly followed by another. Some local scrotes had thrown bricks through the window. The scene I'd been setting was quite literally shattered. I drove home alone.

7 Comments:

Blogger Ces Adorio said...

OH NO! I felt my heart sink to my stomach. Dang! It would have been a great blog post follow up! I always like geography tours :-)

10:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah! Oh well, back to the comfy jim-jams and hot-chocolate.

11:13 pm  
Blogger WithinWithout said...

Did you crack a joke at least? Did he?

Dang is right...

4:41 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, leave Doncaster alone! I live near there and I'll have you know it is a cultured and sophisticated place, and if you disagree, I'll fight you - only joking.

Actually, when I first met Mr Blogs, we lived in Scarborough, and it wasn't until I moved here that I realised why people up there looked worried whenever he mentioned coming from these parts. They are a feisty lot to put it mildly.

To be fair, it's nice out here in the sticks, but I wouldn't go into the town centre at night - well not unless I was looking for a fight or a shag.

12:54 pm  
Blogger joyce said...

like that story!

11:47 pm  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

If only the Doncaster Liberation Army had given you something comedic to work with...like a ransom note tied the brick, or a bowling ball with a lit fuse, now that would have been funny!
If you were a realtor you could have used the opportunity to point out the excellent fenestration and fresh county air!

4:43 am  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Kate - I actually enjoyed a great night in Donny on Tuesday. I didn't witness any violence but there were a few outfits wanderng round the streets that really shouldn't have seen a cold dark mid-week night in November.

9:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home