Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Impulse Buy

There were a few minor health scares at the beginning of the year, but when she was given a clean bill of health after ever such a small amount of treatment, I stopped worrying about her. I knew she'd have a chronic condition for the rest of her life but it wasn't anything that couldn't be treated with routine injections of oil and no unduly strenuous exercise.

It came as a real shock when something burst this morning, not 2 minutes after leaving home. She was suddenly convulsed with choking, completely wracked with shuddering, she lost almost all her power and her pace slowed to virtually nothing. Gently, I coaxed her along, willing her up the steeper bits, but I really thought she was a goner as we crossed the Bridge. Miraculously, she made it all the way but I knew I could not expect her to make it home again on her own.



In 20 minutes, it was all over. I'd made a quick call, walked round the corner to my friend's place, Moiya the Motor, and the deal was done. I held the keys in my hand. I'd paid the money. I barely shed a tear as they towed old Nora away.

It was perfect. Just what I needed, low mileage, taxed til March, tested til May, FSH, one lady owner from new, my mate Moiya's mum, and it was silver, so no more trying to get smears out of black shiny paintwork ( which is something I gave up trying to do about 3 weeks after I bought Nora all those years ago).

What do you think of my new wheels?

Actually, mine's the really really old Rover at the back. Not exactly a 350Z but it was significantly cheaper than the last designer handbag I bought and didn't require a bank loan or sale of a kidney.

17 Comments:

Blogger Boo said...

You had me going there for a minute!

12:45 am  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

I have come to an uneasy truce living with cars and their proclivity to thrive on bouts of negative attention and unprovoked expirations. UUGGGHH!

I am a few years away from a full blown midlife identity crisis entailing 5 lbs of gold around my neck (mr T starter kit) and the mandatory shiny red sports car.
Since there is atleast 80 years worth of Petroleum left in the Middle East I may go for the old Detroit muscle car as a vicarious artifice of my failing virility.

Actually Cherry I am not much of a 'car guy' but I must say, the Rover, atleast here in the Colony, is regarded as a symbol of exploration, durability and stability is it not?

2:30 am  
Blogger kj said...

hmmm, you had my attention clear across the bridge. i smiled when i realized it was a car. nice writing, cherrypie.

2:42 am  
Blogger CeCe said...

Congratulations on the new addition to the family!

4:28 am  
Blogger Keshi said...

wow thats a sexy babe!!

I so wanna dump my car now :(

Keshi.

5:32 am  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Better the Rover: more backseat room wink wink nod nod say no MORE!

Sorry, HE's partner in crime has me on a gin-and-lemonade fueled Monty Python retrospective tonight.

5:34 am  
Blogger WithinWithout said...

Cherry Pie:

How incredibly strong of you to have the capacity to joke like that about your new car, even as the first image showed your old one being towed away to the scrap heap.

I too was about to remark how -- with a sleek, sexy machine with all the curves in the right places like the one in the foreground -- you'd be able to find a whole TEAM of 6-foot-6 rugby players.

Except none of them would have been able to fit into the car. But as FE says, the Rover now, that's a more "user-friendly" auto, isn't it?

And thx for the free plug to my blog, FE. I now have the entire Black Knight clip from YouTube up.

Sorry to have messed you up, but NI!

5:50 am  
Blogger andrea said...

The Rover! Now I won't have to excommunicate you.

6:05 am  
Blogger The Quacks of Life said...

nice post CP

I look forward to seeing the new car on Sunday. I presume you'll spend the next few days polishing it?

I can never be bothered either!

7:44 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gave up cleaning my car before I even started. Occasionally my brother will try and shame me into washing it by cleaning exactly half the car making it look ridiculous for a while. It doesn't work. I still wont waste time washing or polishing my car. Life is too short. I almost believed the flash car was yours as well, I was so pleased for you until you fessed up. Now it's more like welcome to the real world of utility motoring.

12:07 pm  
Blogger Carmenzta said...

Cherrypie, Love the new (for you) Rover! The alternative would have been to hitch a pony to your old car, may she rest in peace. Congratulations, sweetie!!!

5:45 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

"I've been a wild rover
for many a year..."
good luck with your new(ish) car.
Have you named it yet?

Fido or some suitable canine name.

6:31 pm  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Hi, Boo. Nice to see you back x

HE - exploration, durability and stability? who needs a man when you've got a Honda engine under the bonnet, eh? ( NEVER RED)

Kj - *blush* thanks

Keshi - it was more a case of my car dumping me. Again.

7:50 pm  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Fronty - you're a boywithaonetrackmind!

Andrea - what a relief!

Pete = Polishing? err, yeah right. Actually, about Sunday...

Mike - I had a boyfriend like that. In fact, this brother of yours doesn't happen to look like a gnome does he?

Carmy - I'm not sure what the bridge toll would be on a horse

Del, I'm not really one for naming cars to be honest. My first ever was an old Mini Metro - we called it The Coke Can, cos it was about as powerful.

9:01 pm  
Blogger Seany said...

OK, count me in - you got me turning pale green too for a moment. I was worried all this talk of irresponsible cars had got to you :)

11:05 pm  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Cherry,

Merely being practical, my dear.

2:55 am  
Blogger Carlotti said...

Congratulations on your new family member; sounds like it was a fairly painless birth process. In my opinion, buying cars belongs up there with other nasty things like cleaning toilets. (I was going to write a list of nasty things but just can't think of anything else I hate as much as buying cars and cleaning toilets.)

Hope this one stays away from the surgeon for a decent length of time....

3:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home