Wednesday, July 26, 2006

That Thursday Feeling


I was never a girlie little girl, not one for dolls or that nonsense. My sister, Kathryn made up for the both of us on that score, being the proud owner of the COMPLETE Sindy range, including an ex-display Southfork-sized Sindy house which still takes up one of my Dad's attic rooms. There's probably a sweet tableau being played out there to this day between any ( or all) of Kathryn's 6 Sindy dolls and an Action Man that I'd often sneak in to titivate things up a bit.

I was a very young subscriber to Twinkle magazine though. Twinkle was a children's comic which came out in the 70s. It always had a cut-out doll on the back page which you could dress with little outfits held on by fold-down tabs. Kathryn would carefully cut hers out and paste them onto cardboard covered in sticky-back plastic (yes! we were the envy of all our friends having our very own roll of the much-coveted stuff) whilst I would invariably try to tear them out and end up crying as the whole lot was thrown away.

I soon grew out of Twinkle, or maybe Mum thought it would be less traumatic for Kathryn, who to this day is very neat and arty-crafty, and progressed to a brand new girls' magazine, which I think was called something like " My Girl". I remember the very first issue came with a free lipstick and I thought it was the coolest most grown-up thing I had ever owned.

By early teens, the ONLY thing to be seen reading was Jackie, and later, Just17. They always arrived just before I had to leave to catch the school bus and I'd spend all day eagerly awaiting the time when I could run all the way down Tee Lane, just in time to watch the Colgate Blue Minty Gel commercial which was always shown at 3.50pm, you remember the one to the Baggy Trousers tune, and then spend the rest of the evening reading the problem page, checking my zits, and lusting after the boys in the Blue Minty Gel advert photo stories.

I also had a subscription to Smash Hits magazine for a time, although I think this must have been at Junior School. I can't imagine I'd have been very popular at our Comp if I'd regularly herded up a bunch of kids and instructed them to sign the lyrics from the latest Kajagoogoo song, in the round!

All of these magazines came out on a Thursday. It has always been my favourite day of the week, purely because of this.

Tonight my current subscription magazine arrived at the same time as the RSPB quarterly issue. So I've got a double helping of Thursday Feeling. And it's still only Wednesday.


15 Comments:

Blogger The Quacks of Life said...

only comics i read were those suerhero american jobbies......

2000 ad was good as well.....

I recently discovered they were reissuing them in book form. I bought a few. Reminiscing of being ill and my dad bringing home Spiderman #7(UK edition) Spidey V Kraven the Hunter and Mighty World of Marvel 49 Thing vs Hulk an epic :D

9:53 pm  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

I still love getting a mag in the mail too.. YIPPEE!
I started a subscription to Time and National Geographic when I was a teen and balanced it out by reading National Lampoon and Mad.

I kept up on the antics of Donny Osmond, Michael Jackson, David Cassidy and Jack Wild through my sister's TigerBeat.

My goodladywife keeps the paparazzi in Lamborghinis by purchasing a couple of fan mags every month sssh!.

I have a hard time getting rid of my magazines. I have boxes and boxes of these old mags in the basement...but I would still like to get a new 'zine every day.

11:47 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

LOL I remember Twinkle and Jackie - it was compulsory reading. I didn't really get into Smash Hits, but I remember buying NME and thinking I was really cool.

11:48 pm  
Blogger Cream said...

I've just cancelled my 15-year Reader's Digest subscription...
I was getting bored with it. I might order Smash Hits instead! Is it a motor magazine? ;o)

5:01 pm  
Blogger tom909 said...

We had to have The Robin, The Swift and the Eagle because we were middle class. Our friends 'up the council' had the Beano - boy were we jealous. They also had ITV and watched cartoons - we had to watch bloody Blue Peter.

6:13 pm  
Blogger Seany said...

I can see a late night ahead now trawling for comics from my dim distant childhood.

What confuses me with magazines now is that they are always on sale so early. Why are September issues on sale in July?

Anyway, given your recollections of "Twinkle days", I thought you might appreciate this link

8:59 pm  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Pete - I was ill a lot as a child, tonsilitis every 3 weeks until I had them whipped out at 7, thankfully my Dad brought me a record player and the Bay City Rollers albums. Not a superhero comic in sight

10:02 pm  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

HE - I buy National Geographic quite a lot but I never buy the gossipy celebrity mags - I just devour them whenever I am in the hairdressers/ at a friend's/ waiting for the dentist.

Kate - I used to buy NME too and was really chuffed when they mentioned a band I'd heard of

Cream - Smash Hits might just be up your street, you crazy wonderful guy

10:06 pm  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Tom - I'm impressed they had the printing press back then, let alone Valerie Singleton ( mwah - love ya)

Sean - I don't even want to know how you came by that link. Have you ever considered therapy? x

10:08 pm  
Blogger Seany said...

I'm way beyond therapy I'm afraid. All the same, credit goes to Sam for finding that one.

10:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah Just17 - those were the days! And then More came out and seemed so exciting and Mizz...Then Thursday meant Kerrang and Metal Hammer in my teens.

Thursday still is my magazine day as I have to confess to being a NOW reader, well not so much reader as skimmer and look at the pictures...

10:33 pm  
Blogger Mike Da Hat said...

Hey where were you last night? The Neumes played at my club. They really rocked the place everyone dancing and stuff. We've got them earmarked for next years festival and other gigs.

Thanks for putting me onto them. They're brilliant. Scored me some serious brownie points for finding them too.

BTW The Neumes seem to be big fans of yours.

Much love

8:50 am  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Beki, I remember that More magazine. It was pure filth! I can't believe they allowed that to be sold without a wrapper.

Mike - glad the gig went well for all of you. I was working late. Again. I'll definitely try to make the next one x

9:48 pm  
Blogger The Birdman said...

We-e-e-e-ll... I used to get "Whizzer and Chips" and "Knockout", and then it was great because those two combined ("Whizzer and Chips incorporating Knockout"!!!) so I could get a new comic, which was 2000AD, which was a different animal in those days.

Then I grew up a bit, and instead started getting Orbis Publications' "Birds" - I vaguely recall there being 93 in the end.

Don't know what ever became of them... wish I'd still got 'em! :(

12:53 am  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Hey Cherry, come dancing!

3:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home