Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Diversion Therapy

I haven't the time to sit down and carefully craft a piece of prose worthy of attention. I have dishes to wash, clothes to launder, cupboards to scrub, floors to sweep, furniture to polish, beds to strip, wardrobes to organise, lawns to mow, cars to valet, freezers to fill, in fact just about anything to take my mind off the fact that I waved goodbye to Jack and 65 of his close friends just under 4 hours ago. He'll be arriving at Heathrow shortly, airborne, destined for Oz before the sun sets. He'll celebrate his 16th birthday by captaining the squad at the Southern Skies Tournament in Brisbane. I hope he remembers to take photos.

So while I'm preoccupied, I'll share this comment that I received 2 years ago. It came to my private email so it's never been seen by anyone else, but it was wonderful to receive. The genuinely lovely guy that sent it is having a bit of a tricky time currently although his incurable optimism is already showing signs of a recurrence. If you like his sentiments, go tell him.

I like to browse a few blogs and give a little encouragement where due because I know myself it's nice to receive a compliment on what you've written. The only trouble is you have to trawl through endless reams of dross to find one little diamond. If only I could somehow filter out all the teenage angst stuff, the people with political chips on their shoulders, the websites featuring fluffy animals, and all those sites where people whinge on about how awful their lives are because someone has left them and they're heartbroken.

Hmmm what's left? OK take away the sites dedicated to Jesus Christ their saviour and all the other religious fanatics and all those that I can't understand because they're written in arabic or something, then we can filter out the adverts telling us how to save millions or get rich quick.Then and only then I might get a chance to read something that is actually humourous and interesting. Yours was one of those worth reading. I love it when people can make a joke of their own misadventures. It's a more positive attitude. And we need more positive attitude in this world.Thank you for making the effort. Keep up the good work.

No, Mike. Thank you x

17 Comments:

Blogger andrea said...

Amen to that, Mike.

11:57 pm  
Blogger WithinWithout said...

Mike Da Hat's a beacon in a sea of shit, Cherry Pie. While you await pix from Oz, thanks for shedding the light.

Man, I'd sure like to meet this guy!

3:47 am  
Blogger WithinWithout said...

Misspoke...

He may be in what SEEMS like a sea of doo-doo, but he's a beacon for his ability to rise above it.

Thanks again. He's my role model for today...

3:52 am  
Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

Divert away Cherrypie...this guy seems to be a real gem. The more you look, the more you will find. It's almost like one of those Jesus blogs that Mike was talking about. Ask and you will receive, seek and you will find...
MIKE DA HAT is a rocker with good taste.

4:50 am  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

Just got back from Da Hat. Anybody that funny and talented and mushy (and smart enough to realise what a gem you are)is gonna make it. Sending out good vibrations to Da Mike in Da Hat!
Thanks Cherry.

6:52 am  
Blogger Mike Da Hat said...

I read the quote from my letter of two years ago. I thought "Finally someone who thinks just like I do, I should check him out." so I just clicked on the link to find out who this "Genuinely lovely guy" was I hadn't realised you were talking about me. Ha Ha! That's classic. Thank you so much and thank you everyone for your very kind comments. I'm humbled.

7:51 am  
Blogger Cream said...

Well, in these of Wimbledon, it is great to see that the returns of compliments are gentle and witty...
You CAN be seeeeerious every now and then!

5:06 pm  
Blogger tom909 said...

Cherrypie, you were one of my first blog friends. I think the first post I read of yours was about the fungus growing in your garden shed. So many other posts of note, but hard as I try I can't forget the one about your fierce period with the video of the girl band. It was truly funnt. See Betty's post, 'Rivers of Blood' on the same subject.

8:29 am  
Blogger Melora said...

How long is Jack gone? Sounds as if he is going to come home to a spotless house and bulging pantry. Don't forget to sneak in some peaceful reading time!

2:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely comment. I just got some skinny bint of a teenager on myspcae today basically having a go because I am fat...well done Einstein!

8:36 pm  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

I wouldn't even begin to presume to say that I know what Mike's going through, but I'm rooting for his side.

Cherry, thanks for introducing him.

4:41 pm  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

Saturday.Dear Cherry,
I would like to offer my services to the Queen and Country by way of teaching your team how to shoot PENALTY KICKS!
My word!

7:33 pm  
Blogger St Jude said...

It's great blogging, and it's wonderful when someone takes the time to tell you that they actually like what you are doing. Keep it up.

9:43 am  
Blogger Russell CJ Duffy said...

thanks for the info on this fella. poor unfortunate soul is about to be visited by me!!

god help him ;)

5:41 pm  
Blogger The Tart said...

So nice. I am going to give him a visit.

12:51 am  
Blogger Carmenzta said...

Miss Pie,

I agree with Mike Da Hat about how cool your blog is. I hope you're not too tired after attending to so many housewiferly/motherly duties.

10:08 pm  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Here was me worrying how on earth I would fill my time with Jack away, and I haven't had a minute to sit and dwell on it, let alone keep up with you lot on here.

Thank you for all your lovely comments. I'm pleased some of you have been to visit Mike.

I won't bore you with the minutiae that has been the last week or so, it involved some very intensive interviewing, frantic plate spinning, interspersed with a jolly jaunt to Jockland.

Right. Get the kettle on. I'm coming to visit you all shortly x

8:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home