Friday, May 26, 2006

'Cos Cherrypie Knows How To Throw A Parrrti

Fortunately, demonically-possessed clients such as the one I encountered the other week, are rare. So too are the over-excited variety, most falling into the comfortable middle range of mildly indifferent or slightly pleased, many of whom send sweet little Thankyou cards and, ever so occasionally, gifts of wine ( I'm currently dealing with the acquisition of a key-worker shared-ownership leasehold apartment in Central London, a contract the size of an old family bible - I could have turned the job down but this chap sent me an entire case from the Sunday Times Wine Club a couple of months ago when I sold his house so I'm prepared to put myself out of the comfort zone).

I cannot recall ever being physically lifted off my feet in a bearhug and subjected to a large, moist smack on the cheek by a client. It was certainly a new experience when this happened to me on Tuesday before a waiting room full of highly-amused clients and a couple of colleagues who weren't sure whether to applaud as the emotional (and incredibly strong) gentleman proceeded to loudly exclaim " You are simply wonderful, wonderful, my dear. You have made me so happy I could weep from the sheer joy". Thankfully, he didn't.

The initial shock and embarrassment was quickly overtaken by the incredibly pleasurable realisation that, for the first time in ages, I felt as light as a feather. Jack often picks me up, usually in an attempt to extort money from me, refusing to put me down until I've agreed to some outrageous demand but I don't recall a man lifting me since the free rock festival at Ashby Ville in the late 80s when I bounced on my cousin John's shoulders to the Housemartins and the Q-Tips.

I wouldn't wish or expect it to become a common method of showing appreciation, I much prefer the practical solutions wine or flowers offer, but it wasn't entirely abhorrent and has kept me tittering to myself all week, especially given that I have strong suspicions that the He used to be a She, the type that might have been found frequenting clubs in the Victorian era wearing tweed suits and smoking pipes, albeit it a tall She with very large hands and perhaps a touch of elephantitis.

I am now to depart for Wales again. The weekend will be infinitely different to the last one. We'll be staying with the quasi-in-laws, so will not be expected or required to have any political opinions or, indeed thoughts on anything other than Big Brother and Hello! magazine. Jack & I will amuse ourselves by secretly counting how many times we hear "Paul Burrell", " Michael Owen" and " David McLean" mentioned over the next 3 days. We might escape the obligatory pilgrimage past St Owen's gates now that he has cleared off to Madrid, but it hasn't stopped them on the 32 other occasions so I shouldn't be too optimistic. Jack'll keep very quiet about his upcoming Australia trip for fear his Dad will try and bum some of his spending money off him.


And I will ponder on how my life could so easily have become a "Shameless" reality.





I took a tip out of Cream's book and left you some music to listen to while I'm away

15 Comments:

Blogger The Quacks of Life said...

presuming st owen is michael. then he is at newcastle.

so you are pleased they aren't the real inlaws then.......

6:42 pm  
Blogger St Jude said...

Have a fun weekend ;0)

9:00 pm  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

Where to start...
It's nice to be swept off of your feet every so often,

MANhands ala Seinfeld?,

Exlaws er Outlaws?,

Crikee Jack better learn Tie me kangaroo down sport if he's goin'downunder mate,

and finally where do I go to get my hands around the two worst lipsynchin' mooks on the planet.....

11:18 pm  
Blogger Melora said...

Oh my. Guess you English aren't so reserved after all. I guess it makes an interesting change from flowers and wine!
I hope you have a nice weekend. I'm not quite clear on whether you expect it to be nice or not, but at least you shouldn't have to cook!
Cordially,
Melora

11:38 pm  
Blogger tom909 said...

Missing you Cherry Baby! Hope you survived - sounds like a strange set-up you've got going there.

8:38 am  
Blogger joyce said...

What a perfect start to a rainy saturday morning!! Love this video clip- I think we've grown so weary of polish that real people are just way more FUNNY!
I'd sweep you off your feet in a giant drippy hug if I could- You leave me the sweetest comments!
I'll just have to grin away at the mental image you've left us-

2:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear the report from this weekend :o)

Have a good one!

2:59 pm  
Blogger andrea said...

I just came from Joyce's blog and now read this and so I know my day will go well now. Will you be visiting more paces with unpronouncable/unreadable/unbelievable names?

3:51 pm  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Sounds like you do know how to throw a party, although a certain Heather may have a leg up on you . . .

This is going to be a long weekend . . . . .

9:55 pm  
Blogger tom909 said...

Just a quickie CP. My birdspotter mate says it is highly unlikely that I saw a yellow wagtail. They only end up in UK by accident. What I saw was a grey wagtail. They are yellow but with a greeny grey back.

8:43 am  
Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

You've given me a good idea for next payday...something about holding Joyce high in the air and begging for golf money. I'll keep planning, I'm sure some good ideas will come to me.

7:51 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Have a great weekend, your quasi in-laws sound like a lot of fun.

Thanks for the song, I love it :-)

8:03 pm  
Blogger Cream said...

Hope you had a great weekend! I did!
Love the song!

3:04 pm  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Tom - I wouldn't know a yellow wag from a tea bag but 2 venerable birders with implressively over-developed scopes and tripods pointed mine out to me so I'm sticking with their identification.

My siting of golden eagles over Ellesmore Port might not be quite so reliable however.

5:35 pm  
Blogger DH59 said...

Tom909 - Yellow Wagtails are regular summer visitors to UK and breed here. Admittedly, they are not the most common of birds, as for example, the Grey Wagtail which is resident.

9:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home